Sunday, March 3, 2013

I Wish To Be A Ninja (Among Other Things)

Welcome to my blog! It is a blog among many thousands and thousands of blogs that exist on the internet, and yet in all its grace, the internet has allowed me a small cavern in which to expound on the various facets of my life. Ok, but seriously though I've wanted to make a blog for a long time. Blogs are great for posting stories of your cats, your collection of pictures of yourself making the duck face in various iconic spots around the world, or even a written collection of that one time you were really constipated. I don't know if I will be able to be as interesting or as relevant as the things that I listed above, but I will strive to be.

Anyway, now that the introduction is out of the way let's talk about ninjas. Why ninjas, you ask, what could they possibly have to do with cycling, or anything? Isn't the only time you should hear the word ninja from a little kid in Karate class, or that one time really late at night where you left the TV on and just happened to accidentally end up watching some anime? Questions aside, would you mess with this?


Adorable black belts today, the silent killers of tomorrow.

Do not underestimate ninjas-in-training. I have great respect for ninjas, and ninja-ing, which is indeed a verb. I have a Bachelor of Arts, and if I can't use it to turn words that I enjoy into verbs then what can I use it for? Ninjas are masters of their craft, yet they have to hone their skills for years. I feel that many aspects of ninja life are applicable to the life of a bike racer. We are both fully immersed in our training, to the extent that it takes up the majority of our waking thoughts. It takes years to hone and shape our bodies into what is needed for maximum performance, and in order to win, you've got to have that killer instinct.

So, cycling and ninja-ing: two things close to my heart, and in the most absolutely convoluted, three-paragraph way of getting to a proper introduction of myself here we are. My name is Frances, I am an elite bike racer. This year, after many years of training (ninja-ing) I am attempting to be noticed by and signed to a professional team. I am a road, mountain, and cyclocross racer, although my heart will always be with 'cross. I want to chronicle this attempt, for while there may be many women out there who are trying to do this, too many are remarkably silent about what it feels like.

Sometimes it feels like this!

Besides yelling about women's cycling (which I will do a lot) I may also write about other things that I like such as coffee, dogs, or swords. I also like to be silly, though you probably couldn't tell. Here is a picture of me, so that if spotted in public you can more easily be sure that your target is correct when you go to throw fruit at me.

I am ALWAYS watching for stray oranges.


2 comments:

  1. I miss you, dear Franny, so I shall stalk you on the internet!

    -Jacquid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make everything from protein shakes and frozen cocktails to meatballs and bean dip with the Ninja 1100 Blender. How to be a Ninja

    ReplyDelete